Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Ghosts in action



On Sunday, I attended the first rehearsal I've been able since the initial read-through. It amazes me how quickly this cast has bonded. It creates the perfect atmosphere of comfort and trust, which allows them to experiment. Ensemble work is particularly important to this play, so that ability to play and experiment is crucial. Laura, the director, has done a terrific job fostering that.

Working on this script feels almost like writing a symphony. The rhythm and pace are at least as important as the story. That's always true in theatre--musicality always marks a good play--but it's even more true in this play. It sets up a tricky task for the actors. They really need to work together and be right on top of their lines. And that means that I have less time to fiddle around with the script than I might like...especially since I was out of town for a week at the very beginning of the rehearsal process. So today's blog entry will be shorter, so that I can spend a little time tinkering with my script. However, I will share some photos of our very attractive cast, taken during Sunday's rehearsal. The quality is quite grainy, because the theatre was dark and I was trying not use the flash. But the slightly smudgy, almost evasive quality of images seems appropriate for a tale of ghosts.

May Lee Lockhart, who plays Alice, in a pensive moment



Noelle Hardy, who plays Ghost#1, tells a story as the Fortune Teller








Callie Munson, as Ghost #4, listens intently





Tovah Hicks (Ghost #2) and May Lee






No comments: